Over the next several months the U.S. Mint will be
rolling out three new products in honor of the 50th anniversary of
the Kennedy half dollar. Marc Landry, the Mint's Acting Associate
Director of Sales and Marketing, outlined the Mint's plans for the
sale of these items during a teleconference on Wednesday, July 16,
50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin
- This set will contain two uncirculated coins, one from each of
the mints in Philadelphia and Denver and will cost $9.95.
- Each coin will feature the original design from 1964 but is
inscribed with the year 2014.
- The United States Mint will open sales for this set on
Thursday, July 24, 2014, at noon EDT.
- Landry said that the Mint will have just over 37,000 available
to ship immediately upon release. He also said that the goal is to
serve the demand for the coins but not over produce.
50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof
- This coin will be struck at the United States Mint's facility
in West Point and will contain three-quarters of a troy ounce of
.9999 fine, 24-karat gold. Inscriptions on the obverse (heads)
include the dual years "1964-2014." The encapsulated coin is
packaged in a single, custom-designed, brown mahogany hardwood
presentation case with removable coin well. A certificate of
authenticity, signed by United States Mint Deputy Director Richard
A. Peterson, will accompany each coin.
- The coins will go on sale Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014, at noon EDT.
They will also be available for purchase in person at the Chicago
World's Fair of MoneySM in Rosemont, Illinois.
- In total the Mint will have 2,500 coins at the World's Fair of
Money and will be selling 500 per day over a five-day period. There
will be a limit of two coins per person. Landry said that "we
really want to give everyone a fair shot to get in line," as well
as that the Mint wants to be flexible enough to accommodate all of
its customers and not be a distraction at the show.
- Landry mentioned that the Mint may adjust coin purchase limits
based on how sales go on the first day of the show.
- The Mint will have three registers at the show - two for
purchasing gold coins and one for purchases of other products.
- Besides being available at the World's Fair of Money, the Mint
will have 40,000 gold half dollars available to ship with a five
coin limit per household for online and phone orders.
50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin
- The set is composed of four coins-one from each of the United
States Mint's production facilities-struck in 90 percent silver in
four finishes: One reverse proof coin from the United States Mint
at West Point, one proof coin from the United States Mint at
Philadelphia, one enhanced uncirculated coin from the United States
Mint at San Francisco and one uncirculated coin from the United
States Mint at Denver.
- Each coin features the original design from 1964 but is dated
- The set will be sold for $99.95 and will be released in the
- This set will be the first significant product release for the
Mint's new order management system due to debut in the fall. The
Mint hopes to deliver a better ordering process online as well as
do away with the waiting room, Landry said.
To order any of these products, go to http://www.usmint.gov/catalog
or call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Hearing- and speech-impaired
customers with TTY equipment may order at 1-888-321-MINT. A
fee of $4.95 will be added to all domestic orders for shipping and
All purchases of these products will be subject to an
order limit of five of each product per household. The bureau
will re-evaluate the order limit as necessary over the period these
products are available for sale.