THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION
BSA COIN COLLECTING
MERIT BADGE WORKSHOP
Donald A. Stephens Convention
5555 N. River Road • Rosemont, IL 60018
Saturday, August 17 • 10 a.m. - noon.
(Check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.)
- Earn the Coin Collecting Merit Badge!
- Learn about this fun and fascinating hobby!
- Scouts and their parents admitted free!
BEFORE THE WORKSHOP
- Be familiar with the 2010 edition of the Coin Collecting Merit Badge pamphlet. At the workshop, Scouts will review the requirements. Current requirements can also be found online at www.meritbadge.org.
- Collect and bring five different grade examples of the same coin type (Requirement 3).
- Collect and bring five different state quarters you have acquired from circulation (Requirement 6). The dates do not have to be the same.
- Collect and bring a type set of U.S. coins currently in circulation (Requirement 7). This type set must include one specimen each of 1 cent, 5 cents, 10 cents, 25 cents, 50 cents and dollar coins. The dates do not have to be the same.
- Collect and bring a date set of U.S. coins (Requirement 9d) or one of the other collections for Requirement 9. The set for Requirement 9d can be of any one denomination (1 cent, 5 cents, 10 cents or 25 cents) and must include one (1) coin of every year, from the year the Scout was born through this year. Any mint is acceptable. All coins must be of the same denomination.
AT THE WORKSHOP
Everyone will learn a lot about collecting U.S. coins. Bring only the coins required for the merit badge; please leave the rest of your collection at home. Scouts will complete their requirements during the workshop and have them reviewed. Scouts should attend in Class A uniforms. Parents and adult leaders are welcome and encouraged to attend. Check-in begins at 11:30 a.m. Allow ample time before or after the workshop for Scouts to explore the collector exhibits, displays of the U.S. Treasury, the ANA Museum Showcase and other interesting areas of the coin show. The show is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Scouts who complete the merit badge at the clinic will receive a free six-month membership to the ANA.
Please provide Scouts with signed Merit Badge Cards and ask them to complete all personal information (name, address, etc.). Certified Merit Badge Counselors will be leading the workshop and will sign the cards upon completion of the requirements. Tell your Scouts to bring note pads and pencils, and their completed type and date sets of coins. Remind Scouts to wear their Class A Scout uniform. Scoutmasters should provide a copy of this flyer to Scouts planning to attend the workshop so they can study the requirements.
To register, contact Eugene Freeman at 847-318-0847 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Troop number, Scout name(s) and approximate rank of Scout(s). Registration cutoff is Aug. 7.