Login

1833 Liberia Cent American Colonization Society Token

I recently purchased this token on a whim. It has found a proud home in my collection, being the highest graded example of this variety by NGC (MS61). I have always been fascinated with the history of the American Colonization Society and have done a fair amount of research on the topic. I am reaching out to the members of the ANA requesting any information on this specific token. My Questions are directed directly toward the token itself: Where was it minted? What was its use? Was it used in Liberia? Are there articles or books on this token? Could it be spent as one cent? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone. 

1 month ago

As a member of the Virginia Historical Society, I reached out for information on this this society and token. Here is what they sent me, which is what I believe you asked for. http://philib.org/coins.php.  Happy hunting!

1 month ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.