Login

1953S Wheat Cent

I was looking through my wheat cent collection and noticed the S on one of my 1953S cents is struck closer to the date then the others. It appears to be touching the  5. Anyone know if this is an error, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

7 years ago

Likely not an error.  Mintmark placement varies on many different coins.  Mintmarks were punched by hand each time a new die was put into service so naturally they all couldn't be put in the exact same place. 

7 years ago

Touching the 5 would be cool though. I like to keep the obviously different ones. Afterall, compare and contrast is what makes varieties desirable for some.

7 years ago

Mintmarks used to be handstruck, so this is very possible. In 1975, a 'D' mintmark was struck and almost touches the date (see a picture in the 2015 Red Book)

7 years ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.