Login

2014 Clad Baseball Error

We received this letter from member Donald Thies concerning a potential error on his recently purchased 2014 Clad Baseball piece.

Baseball Dollar Proof Error:

I was reading the recent “The Numismatist” magazine letters and one titled “Play Ball” interested me because this past weekend I received my 2014 Baseball Proof Silver Dollar.  After showing it to my daughter I decided to get the Dollar Baseball Proof Coin that I had received about 4 weeks ago now to compare and look at them both.

What I found next was a total surprise.  I’ve attached a photograph of this coin.  What I found is on the glove side of the coin where the date is located the coin was missing the #2 in the year 2014.  Instead there was an approximate π inch diameter gap that matched the background around the coin.  I got my magnifying glass and couldn’t see a date either.  I then went and got an eye piece from an old micro fiche projector and with that very strong piece of optics I was able to see a faint #2.

I guess I didn’t really look at the coin that closely when I got it.  Yesterday I received my 2014 Clad Baseball uncirculated coin and took that coin and the proof coin and laid them side by side.  I noticed that on the uncirculated coin the stitching of the glove and texture appears more prevalent.  The entire date was there too.

Has anyone heard of any other “error” coins from this Baseball series?  

Thanks.

Donald Thies

8 years ago

Great eye, Donald! This could turn out to be one heck of a piece in your collection. It has so much going for it - It's an eyeball noticeable error, on one of the hottest commemoratives to come out of the Mint this year, and it's on a proof coin (the "pinnacle" of their handiwork, eh?) Congrats on a great find! Who knows how many more like this are out there (does anyone else have one?!) NOTE: This is on the proof half dollar, NOT the dollar coin.

8 years ago

Sounds like a filled die. That would be an odd find on a modern, low production coin like this one, though.

8 years ago

With a new production method in use, I am amazed we haven't heard about more such errors.

8 years ago

Awesome! That'll be worth a ton.

8 years ago

Nice catch!

8 years ago

wow. Good job US Mint!

8 years ago

Now I have to go check mine out!

8 years ago

Wow!

7 years ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.