Login

Potential 1968 filled S

So I was doing the typical afternoon routine, which is examining coins, and I came across a 1968 S BU lincoln cent that the ANA gave me. My birthday was in August and they sent me that coin, and though it is a nice coin, a BU 1968 S lincoln cent is only worth like 50 cents. 

I understood the ANA can't be just giving away valuable coins, but I also thought they could of done better than a 1968 S. So today I decided to examine the coin, and then it hit me. Maybe it was a RPM or something similar. I took out my loupe and sure enough, it looked like a filled S. That definitely made it worth more than a standard 1968 S.

I attached some pics, so let me know what you think. I couldn't get the best pictures, but when examined in person it is almost undoubtedly a filled S. Let me know what you think, because I am not a professional either. 

1 year ago

Note: there doesn't seem to be much filling in the top part of the mintmark, I mostly see it in the lower half. My guess is that is a die chip of some kind. So would filled S be the proper term?

1 year ago

Definitely a filled S, and when is your birthday? Because mine is August 30 and I got a 1968-S also, and I noticed something was different about it, let me go check it.

1 year ago

August 19. Maybe they had a OBW roll of 1968 S cents that they were using then

1 year ago

Ya maybe, mine looks like it has an RPM or a filled S or something, here is a pic:

1 year ago

That definitely looks like an S/S, but I don't see a die chip on it

1 year ago

where would it be?

1 year ago

These are just normal 1968-S, the S mint mark aan the dies of this year weren't very sharp.

1 year ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.