Login

1943 D steel cent

Hello,

I recently received set of three, 1943 steel 1 cents. In looking at the mint stamp for the Denver one, I saw that there was some metal spillage as well as some doubling around the date. Some sites say it is not worth much more, and others say it is worth a little more than usual. 

The close-up photo is blue due to the light I was using.

I am new to coin collecting and was just wondering what was your opinion. Thanks!

6 years ago

@user_55995
Hello,

I recently received set of three, 1943 steel 1 cents. In looking at the mint stamp for the Denver one, I saw that there was some metal spillage as well as some doubling around the date. Some sites say it is not worth much more, and others say it is worth a little more than usual. 

The close-up photo is blue due to the light I was using.

I am new to coin collecting and was just wondering what was your opinion. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the hobby of kings! Your 1943-D cent is considered normal and does not have an "error" or actual, true die doubling. This extra metal is the result of a phenomenon known in the hobby as "strike doubling" or machine doubling. The main difference between this type of doubling and genuine hub or die doubling seen on a coin is that hub or die doubling happens during the production life of the die, so it is classified as a real 'mistake' by the Mint. Your coin exhibits the flat, shelf-like doubling that sometimes occurs as a coin is being ejected from the coining chamber. It received a very light additional 'hit' from the obverse die right after it was initially struck, creating those blobbed images. Notice that the same doubling can be seen in the same direction on most other portions of the date. A true doubled die coin won't show doubling in that manner; there would be "notches" on letters/numerals. If you have access to a "Cherrypickers' Guide" check out the appendix on this topic; they explain it best.

6 years ago

Thank you so much for a great explanation and your time. I obviously have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to it. 

John

6 years ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.