Login

1877 Indian Head Cents

While reading the latest issue of Coins magazine, the October 2015, I found myself thinking about the 1877 Indian Head Cent. Knowing they are rare, but not knowing the exact mintage, I looked them up in my Red Book.  There I found a mintage of 852,500...BUT the mintage also noted that there are thought to be only 900 today.  I am just wondering if anyone knows where the other 851,600 cents went.  Thanks!

6 years ago

I think 900 is probably a really low number. NGC alone claims to have graded more than 2900 pieces. Of course this includes an unknown number of regrades. In theory there are a significantly higher number of low grade raw coins in addition to this plus whatever the other grading services have graded. Definitely not a common coin but there are a lot more than 900 out there.

On a side note, when I was a young adult I was fortunate enough to receive about 100 Indian Head Cents  from the estate of an Aunt. There were 2 1877's in the lot. The only time in my life I have had that kind of luck.

6 years ago

Cool!  Thanks!

6 years ago

There have to be considerably more than 900.  The shear number available any given day on the auction houses, ebay, etc. not to mention the graded ones in collectors hands.

6 years ago

I agree there is probably more, I just don't know what this means.  Weird.  

6 years ago

900 refers the the amount of proof coins made that year, for that denomination. 

6 years ago

Ah, thanks a lot.

6 years ago
We use cookies to provide users the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your cookie settings, we'll assume that you agree to receive all cookies on money.org. You may disable cookies at any time using your internet browser configuration. By continuing to use this website, you agree to our privacy policy and terms of use. To learn more about how we use cookies and to review our privacy policy, click here.